April 22, 2010
It is now over two years since we first started using our kitchen waste in the garden by first treating it in our JURAFORM Composting machine and then being spread on the vegetable patch to help keep the virtuous circle going by encouraging the vegetables to grow then feeding the machine then back round again. It has up till now been working reasonably efficiently but as with many things it is not until you yourself have to see a task in operation that you can suggest or spot improvements.
In my case it was standing for an hour watching the machine empty and reading the manual when I noticed it was recommend that only 15 minutes was required. After further investigation I realised that the output was maybe not dry enough and that the exit procedure was maybe not as efficient as required. So yesterday we increased the wood pellets in the mix which immediately increased the temperature and in turn reduced the water content and then today we raised the machine so that we could fill larger bins and therefore cut down the emptying time. The only issue is that the produce is now too hot and needs to be cooled down before we can use it or our vegetables will be parboiled before they even reach the kitchen!
After discussion and a few modifications the system is back working and we managed to cut the expulsion time radically. Now we will have to check in a couple of weeks when it is ready for emptying again and then monitor progress. Now we are really cooking but not with gas with compost!!